Thursday, February 10, 2011

Colorful Veggie Sandwich

I love making pestos, sauces, relishes, and other condiments to have on hand at all times. The other day I made a green pea and mint pesto and a nice roasted beet relish. The green pea and mint pesto is so nice and light. The mint and parmesan work so well together. The green peas add a light sweetness and beautiful color. I also like the consistency because it is thick enough to use as a spread.
I love beets. They have such a rich, earthy flavor and are so good for you. Their deep red, purple color is a reflection of their nutritious properties. If I have the time, I roast whole beets and let them cool to get the skin off. In this case, I simply used canned beets. I diced them into similarly sized pieces. I added some jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper.
I had purchased a fresh baguette from Whole Foods earlier. They offer a seeded baguette that has a blend of seeds, including sesame, anise, and poppy. When toasted, this humble coating really pops! I cut the baguette in half, lengthwise. I spread some avocado on the bottom, seasoned with salt and sprinkle of lime juice. Topped with a layer of beet relish and finished with the green pea and mint pesto. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment