Thursday, May 26, 2011

Indian Test Run with the Barkers

Next week, I will be teaching a class to a group of ten ladies.  The theme that was chosen was Indian.  While I love to cook curries and eat Indian foods, I know I needed more practice before the event.  Since Mary had helped organize the event (she's awesome at this!), I asked her if we could do a test run of the menu.


The menu will include:

Aloo Chole  (Potato and Garbanzo Bean curry)
Chicken in Yogurt Sauce (a take on tandoori chicken)
Brown Basmati Rice
Cucumber Raita



We started by making the marinade for the chicken by mixing together:

1 c. whole milk yogurt
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2 TB. ginger, minced
1 TB. garam masala
2 tsp. cumin, ground
1 tsp. coriander, ground
2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. cayenne
1 lime, juiced
saffron, pinch
salt and pepper

Several recipes I found called for red food coloring to give the chicken that quintessential tandoori look.  I didn't want to go that route, so our chicken was not so red, but more of a mellow yellow.



I let 4 whole chicken legs marinade while we prepared the Aloo (potato) Chole.  I got the recipe from here.  While we didn't follow the recipe exactly, it was a great foundation to work on.  For example, I used some of Mary's coconut oil to fry the mustard and cumin seeds, rather than ghee.  We let the stew simmer for quite some time, perhaps 40 minutes.  It was quite delicious, but since the cooking class is for young mothers, Mary and I agreed that next time we would use less cayenne.

For the chicken, we cooked it on a heated skillet.  I would have liked the chicken to have browned a bit more, but for timing purposes we gave it a good sear and then popped it into 350 degree oven until done, about 30 minutes.  The chicken was so moist.  Mary took the remaining marinade and heated until thickened, and boy I am so glad she did!  This was just the perfect touch for the chicken once it was on our plates.  I could have just eaten the sauce on some of the rice and I would have been satisfied.

The cucumber raita was refreshing and soothing.  A perfect balance for the other components of the meal.

For the raita:

2 cucumbers, diced
a handful of mint (from my backyard, of course), chopped
1 lime, juiced
1/2 c. whole milk yogurt
salt and pepper

Mix and chill until ready to serve.


All in all, it was a great meal.  Corbin, Mary's husband, was so enthusiastic about the food.  Gavin, their three year old, also enjoyed and he didn't seem to mind the spice.  Heidi, on the other hand, their one year old, kept spitting out pieces of potato and garbanzos and crying from the spice in the Aloo Chole.  It was rather funny, I have to admit.  The food was great, the company even better, and the practice worthwhile.  I felt so heavy afterwards and fell into a deep, deep food coma.  Dreams of frankincense and myrrh ensued.   


2 comments:

  1. I love it...it all looks delicious! I understand your concern on using food coloring to get the chicken a bit red, I would not use it. But I had used in the past "annatto seeds". they are used a lot to color food and they do give some slight flavor, a little peppery and a hint of nutmeg. maybe next time you can use them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg Heidi! Hilarious! Love this whole post Maria! xo

    ReplyDelete