Monday, February 21, 2011

There's something about sardines...


One of the things I miss most about Japan is the abundance of fresh fish so readily available. And inexpensive too! Some might argue fish farming, but if you attempted to communicate to your fishmonger that you were interested in wild caught, he would try to oblige to your wishes. At least I sensed that. One of the cheapest fish and most nutritious were the silvery grey whole sardines. I could purchase a pound for about $7. I loved to marinate them lightly with garlic, red chili flakes, lemon juice, and olive oil and roast in my mini oven. Then dress them with a light vinaigrette and some chopped fresh herbs.
My friend, Brett, and I hosted a Mediterranean Dinner Party. We expected about 12 others to show up so I knew instantly I would make some sardines. Guess what...they were awesome! Great with some crusty French toast and some tapenade on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment