Saturday, May 7, 2011

Salad for Bob/Bob for Salad

I find daily inspiration in those around me. Be it physically, emotionally, or spiritually. Bob, someone dear in my life, is very much an advocate for health- his passion for running is admirable. Bob has spent some time at a Muay Thai camp in Phuket, training in the art of Thai boxing, as well as detoxing and learning various ways to get his body and mind in harmony. This week he has decided to consume primarily tuna, nuts, broccoli, and eggs. I received a message from him asking for advice on how to make these ingredients tastier. Immediately, I envisioned a nice, fresh salad with a satisfying tahini dressing. Light and flavorful.
I started by hard boiling two eggs. I then blanched and shocked some broccoli florets. This reduces the amount of gas-inducing properties and makes the vegetable more digestible. I grated a fresh carrot and then rinsed, dried, and chopped some romaine hearts. I placed the romaine leaves in a bowl, topped that with the carrots and broccoli florets, and laid the quartered egg on top. I drizzled the tahini dressing all over. Delicious! Some walnuts would have been nice, but since this was spur of the moment, I just went with the ingredients that Bob had mentioned.  The tahini dressing is what really makes this salad. The smell of the sesame combined with fresh garlic and lemon juice is rather appetizing. Finished off with some Braggs, extra virgin olive oil, and fresh herbs from the garden makes for an excellent flavor for this simple, refreshing salad.


Bob's Tahini Dressing

2 TB. tahini (sesame paste)
2 TB. hot water (or enough to make the paste smooth and creamy)
1 garlic clove, crushed and minced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 tsp. Braggs
3 TB. extra virgin olive oil
a handful of fresh herbs, chopped (I used parsley and mint)
salt and pepper, to taste

Start by mixing the tahini with some hot
water, enough to produce a creamy
consistency.Stir in the minced garlic, lemon juice, and Braggs.




Whisk in the olive oil.  Finish with the fresh herbs
and salt and pepper.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always looking for things to do with this huge jar of tahini...Thanks! Oh and I love this blog and food idea you have going on here....:)
    -Monica

    ReplyDelete